It is safe to state that technology and technological advancements are extremely unpredictable. Each new year brings with it new and exciting innovations and gadgetry with the common goal of simplifying our lives. We have seen great additions over the past several years, with some being more significant than others.
Software plays a huge role in the advancement of technology. Most of the hardware devices that are developed are dependent on the correct software to perform to their full potential. A great example of this is a computer connected to the internet. It would be utterly useless without operating systems and search engines that enable it access information from a variety of sources on the web.
What Does 2017 Hold for Smart Technology?
Software of the Future
A lot of time and money is being spent on software development. Gartner, the world’s leading information technology research advisory company, predicts that the following advances will take shape in #2017:
- Enterprise software funding will increase by 6.8%.
- Associated devices will see a 0.15% rise.
- There will be a 2.7% rise in overall IT spending, which includes communication services and data center systems.
Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
The VR and AR trend is gearing up for productivity and growth in 2017. Industries dealing with technology in Virtual and Augmented Reality will thrive. Gartner predicts that the following will happen:
- Apple will enter the augmented reality arena with its iPhone 8 camera.
- With Facebook’s acquisition of Oculus, the company will incorporate aspects of virtual reality into its social media services.
- Snap Inc. is gearing up to release spectacles that will not only capture content but also display the content within their lenses.
The gaming industry is set to have a fulfilling year in 2017, especially with the advancement in virtual and augmented reality. New games are being developed and released every other month. Gixel.com believes we can expect the following during the year:
- The new Nintendo Switch, a hybrid handheld/console expected to be launched soon.
- More big games, especially those frequently featured on PCs, are expected to be adapted for phones.
- Resident Evil, Mass Effect, Halo Wars and Tom Clancy’s Ghost will all have new, more attractive editions that should pull in more gaming enthusiasts.
Put simply, this is the ability to seem to be in two places at once. Telepresence is on the road to becoming more popular, and 2017 might just be the year this happens. All the components needed to make it a success are in place. This will be a great development in the medical field and in major business corporations. You will be able to hold a boardroom meeting with attendants located in two or three distant parts of the world.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella believes that human language is the future of technology. He states, “In this new wave of technology, conversation is the new interface and bots are the new apps.” 2017 seems to be the year of chatbots, with many companies starting to develop them. The capital outlay of such an endeavour is huge, and the projections of long term gains are even bigger. Chatbots will have an enormous impact on customer service, and they may add a digit to unemployment by causing layoffs.
2016 saw many new smartphones released, with some having an explosive effect on the market. This occurs every year, and 2017 might actually see an uptick in this. We can look forward to some amazing and exciting newcomers to the smartphone market, such as:
- A surprise newcomer in the Blackberry Mercury.
- Microsoft also has a surprise in store with what is currently known as the Surface phone. Name is still undetermined.
- LG is rumoured to be launching a follow-up to the very successful G6 and the G7.
- One of the most highly anticipated new arrivals in 2017 is from Samsung. It is rumoured that the technology giant will launch the first ever foldable smartphone. The Samsung Galaxy X will boast a flexible 4K display with the following advantages:
- No pocket dialling.
- A smaller handset that could fit anywhere once folded.
These innovations should increase smartphone sales and attract a large pool of consumers.
Oculus Virtual Reality Via Pixabay
Featured photo credit: Pexels.com via pexels.com